It doesn’t matter where you are in life…there’ll always be 24 hours in a day. We’re never wise enough, prepared enough, or ready enough to know just how to use our precious time. I’d venture to guess that as long as jobs, families, and deadlines have existed, the phrase has been uttered, “I just don’t have enough time”.
I’m currently helping 6th graders understand better study skills by teaching prioritizing, time management, and organization while I myself question how well “managed” I really am? Granted, no one can master their schedule or write that perfect book, “How to Get Things Done and Still Have a Life“. The reality is, our lives change, and with it, our down time, priorities, and responsibilities. Your probably saying, tell me something I don’t already know. OK…
- We can’t manage time (it stays the same)…we have to manage our lives
- If you haven’t already done so, accept (or adapt to) multi-tasking. In this day and age, you’ll be crushed and left behind by just focusing on one thing at a time.
- The 80/20 rule (yet again): Don’t give up 80% of your time to achieve 20% results by losing focus on what REALLY needs to get done!
- Being busy isn’t necessarily being productive (guilty!)
- Your “high importance” items don’t become as important when NOT written down
It’s a work in progress, and I’m struggling every other step of the way. Some things have to take a back seat or get lost in the bottom of the bag. The necessary evils will rise to the top while the “fun stuff” just has to wait. Sure, it sucks…but that’s what growing up is all about. I remind my kids about it every so often, but instead, I just use the word crummy.